"Afterward they traveled from town to town across the entire island until finally they reached Paphos, where they met a Jewish sorcerer, a false prophet named Bar-Jesus. He had attached himself to the governor, Sergius Paulus, who was an intelligent man. The governor invited Barnabas and Saul to visit him, for he wanted to hear the word of God.
But Elymas, the sorcerer (as his name means in Greek), interfered and urged the governor to pay no attention to what Barnabas and Saul said. He was trying to keep the governor from believing. Saul, also known as Paul, was filled with the Holy Spirit, and he looked the sorcerer in the eye. Then he said,
“You son of the devil, full of every sort of deceit and fraud, and enemy of all that is good! Will you never stop perverting the true ways of the Lord? Watch now, for the Lord has laid his hand of punishment upon you, and you will be struck blind. You will not see the sunlight for some time.”
Instantly mist and darkness came over the man’s eyes, and he began groping around begging for someone to take his hand and lead him. When the governor saw what had happened, he became a believer, for he was astonished at the teaching about the Lord." Acts 13:6-12
The example in the scripture passage above provides us with a clear understanding of how witchcraft operates. Witchcraft is used in our day to prevent people from believing the gospel.
A female who practices witchcraft is called a witch. A male who practices witchcraft is called a sorcerer (sometimes referred to as a warlock). *Behind every opposition to the gospel being preached or taught is someone attempting to use witchcraft.
Witches and sorcerers are constantly opposing the gospel message, always standing in opposition to the gospel preacher.
Witchcraft also blinds. That is its power. It blinds would-be believers from being able to understand the gospel message, lest they understand, believe and become born-again.
It also blinds through creating smokescreen arguments and getting the preacher to devolve into back and forth arguing and endless disputation. In this way the message gets drowned out in the noise of senseless bickering.
Whenever you see individuals seeking to get a preacher or teacher of the Bible to argue back and forth with them - whether its online or offline - almost without fail the opposing person is trying to use witchcraft.
Paul recognized this in the instance above. He actually gave us 5 keys to dealing with witches and sorcerers:
1. Be filled with the Holy Spirit. Paul didn't operate against witchcraft in his own human power. He used Holy Ghost power - something no witch can oppose or operate against.
2. He preached the right message. Paul didn't preach fluffy love and sloppy grace. He preached the straightforward authoritarian gospel of Jesus Christ - and He did it with a demonstration of power. There's only one gospel message - not two or three. If you're not preaching and teaching the true gospel, you'll be no match for those using occult power against you. In fact, you'll be aiding them.
3. Paul wasn't afraid to confront and call out the sorcerer. Neither should we be. He knew his spiritual authority. He understood the power in being a servant of Jesus Christ. And it made him wise and fearless. So should we be.
4. Paul stared directly into the eyes of the sorcerer. This is important! You ever hear of something called 'the evil eye?' It's used by serious practitioners of dark or black magic to put a spell on someone.
When Paul looked Elymas directly in his eye, he was pulling spiritual rank over him. He was about to unleash supernatural Holy Ghost power against the guy using supernatural demon power. One serious look from Paul was enough to completely neutralize the evil lurking in the gaze of the sorcerer.
5. This is interesting: the blindness Elymas the sorcerer was attempting to place over the governor so that he couldn't 'see' the gospel fell onto himself instead. In other words: his blinding spell was unleashed against himself, and he temporarily lost his ability to physically see.
This is more proof of the type of spell he was trying to cast over the governor. It was a blinding spell. But when confronted with someone carrying the power of the Holy Ghost, the spell worked in reverse - and the sorcerer/witch ended up being the victim of his own evil intents.
^These stories are not shared in the Bible without reason. God wants us to know how to battle successfully against the forces of darkness that are hell-bent on stopping and destroying us as believers. Right now witchcraft is rampant in the land: especially if you live in America, Canada, England, Australia, India, and many African nations.
As Christians we cannot afford to play with these things, nor can we turn a blind eye (no pun intended) to the reality of these forces. Because they're being unleashed against us in ways like never before, whether we acknowledge it or not. Hollywood, the music industry, internet and social media companies and even politics are chock full of occult activity aimed directly at the Church of Jesus.
We must arm ourselves with HOLY GHOST power and knowledge in order to overcome these opposing forces. And notice it's called the 'Holy' Ghost? That means you must be holy in order to house His awesome power and energy in your life!
You cannot have God's power if you're half-stepping in your walk with Christ. It's time to go all in or be all out - but no more straddling fences!
Are you up to the challenge? I hope you are - because you're going to need His power like never before in this hour. God bless.
Mack Major, Facebook 8 Comments
[6/19/2017 1:28:04 AM]
Fundie Index: 5