) Multiple reasons I dislike yaoi so much, including but not limited to:
- For one, I find it incredibly disrespectful to real life gays. It's a media that treats gay men like sex-obsessed man whores. It's not helping in the fight for gay rights and equality. What happens if a politician uses the internet to do research on the gay lifestyle in order to influence his decision on a law, and finds all this yaoi and yaoi culture instead? It will give him the wrong impression, a bad one, and set back progress on the freedoms the gays have been fighting for. Hell, even yaoi fangirls disrespect gays by believing them to have the same stereotypes as their gay anime characters. Why is it that yaoi fangirls will ask a gay person "are you a seme or an uke?" and think that it's a perfectly acceptable question? I want my gay friends to be treated as equals, not to be seen as stereotypes who's lives revolve around sex.
- It's unhealthy for young girls to be so obsessed with yaoi. Nothing makes me more angry than seeing yaoi fangirls squeal about rape as if it's a good thing, finding rape "cute", or writing stories where a character gets raped then falls in love with the rapist. That's disgusting and wrong. And shota? If there's sex involved, it's pedophilia. It's not cute in the slightest and it should never be considered cute.
- Yaoi fangirls tend to hate female main characters, drawing hate and slaughter art. It's disheartening to do a search for art on your favorite female character, only to find pictures of her being tortured or dismembered. It's even worse if you do a search on your favorite straight pairing, only to find more pictures of a gay pairing with the female character being slaughtered in the background. My search for Sora/Kairi art brought up stuff like that.
- Many yaoi fangirls are elitists and think that they are better than people like me. They think I'm closed-minded or a homophobe because I don't like yaoi. Some yaoi fans also think they are victims of the same persecution as the gays themselves. To believe they suffer as much as the gays because of their hobby is ridiculous when there are gay people being murdered by their own family members for coming out of the closet.
- There's too much of it. The Kingdom Hearts fandom was nearly ruined for me because of the huge percent of yaoi art. Yaoi fangirls tell people "if you don't like it, don't look at it!" but it's impossible to do, especially when there's yaoi on the front page of deviantart nearly every day! Yaoi fansgirls also seem to find themselves above censorship, posting very racy or pornographic images in places they shouldn't and then getting angry if people complain.
- You saw how people reacted to my "just say no" image. I got a lot of hate mail and threats. And NONE of the hate mail was from people who were actually gay. The image itself was a joke and was not meant to be taken seriously, which is why I drew it with bright colors, chibi characters, and the stupid acronym. Yet people treated me like I was physically hurting gay people. I still see people insulting me in their LiveJournals long after the initial incident. All because of a joke image?
There are a lot more things I hate about yaoi, but I can't remember them all in specific to post them now