8 Biblical Differences Between Wives and Slaves
As we have previously shown from Exodus 20:17 and Leviticus 25:44-46, wives and slaves are both considered by God to be the property of men. And both wives and slaves are commanded by God to obey their masters in everything as Colossians 3:22, Ephesians 5:24, 1 Peter 3:5-6 tells them to do.
But this is where the similarity between wives and slaves ends and the differences begin. Below are eight Biblical distinctions between wives and slaves.
1. Slave owners don’t have to sacrifice themselves for their property – husbands do.
“25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it“
Ephesians 5:25 (KJV)
2. Slave owners don’t have to teach God’s Word to their property – husbands do.
“And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.“
1 Corinthians 14:35 (KJV)
3. Slave owners don’t have to act as human instruments of God’s sanctification in the lives of their property – husbands do.
“26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.”
Ephesians 5:26-27 (KJV)
4. Slave owners don’t have to love and care for their property as they do their own bodies – husbands do.
“28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. 29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church“
Ephesians 5:28-29 (KJV)
5. Slave owners don’t have to give their bodies to meet the sexual needs of their property (nor should they) – husbands do.
“3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. 4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.”
I Corinthians 7:3-4 (KJV)
6. Slave owners don’t have to honor their property – husbands do.
“Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.“
I Peter 3:7 (KJV)
7. Slave owners don’t have to give their property the fruit of their labors – husbands do.
“Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.“
Proverbs 31:31 (KJV)
8. God did not design men to be the property of other men. God did design women to be the property of their husbands.
“7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man. 9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.“
1 Corinthians 11:7-10 (KJV)
We have shown conclusively from the Bible that contrary to modern humanist notions of equality, God has actually designated wives and children as the property of their husbands and fathers. And again, contrary to modern egalitarian views of what marriage should be, God commands wives to regard their husbands as their masters and like slaves to be obedient to their masters in everything. The obvious exception for both wives and slaves in their obedience is if their masters command them to sin against God. It is only in this case that they can and must disobey their masters as Acts 5:29 tells us.