Brian Boquist (R) and several Oregon militia groups and r/The_Donald users #wingnut #psycho mediamatters.org
Militia groups have threatened violence against efforts to bring back Oregon GOP state senators who refuse to pass legislation on climate action. According to The Daily Beast, multiple armed militia groups “are mobilizing to prevent Oregon state police from arresting Republican state senators who went into hiding on Thursday in order to prevent climate change legislation from passing.” After Democratic Gov. Kate Brown planned to dispatch "state troopers to bring them back,” one of the state senators warned “that he would resort to violence rather than return to the state." The outlet quoted a “source inside the Oregon militia movement” saying that its members are “willing to put their own lives in front of these senators’ lives.” From the June 21 report:
One of the lawmakers on the lam, Republican Brian Boquist (R), warned that he would resort to violence rather than return to the state, implying in a local television interview that he would attack law enforcement officers sent to retrieve him.
“Send bachelors and come heavily armed,” Boquist said. “I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”
Users on the subreddit “The_Donald” have posted calls to violence and support for the armed militias. In response to reports about militias’ pledges to defend GOP legislators from being compelled by law enforcement to attend legislative sessions, multiple users on the subreddit “The_Donald” issued calls for violence to help the lawmakers, along with issuing support for the militias.
• A user wrote, “None of this gets fixed without people picking up rifles,” to which another user responded, “If that's what it takes for us and our marginalized community to be heard I suppose it may become necessary sooner than we think.” [Reddit, accessed 6/24/19]
• A user wrote, “Rifles are the only way we're going to get any peace in our lives ever again,” adding, “It's either war and we get rid of these guys or a lifetime of listening to this shit over and over again start getting yourself ready.” [Reddit, accessed 6/24/19]
• A user wrote, “There is only one way to get rid of a dictatorship like this. You don't want to acknowledge it and they made it illegal to do so but you have a choice - bite the bullet or let the collapse fall onto your kids instead of you.” [Reddit, accessed 6/24/19]
• A user called for “burn[ing] Portland and Eugene to the ground.” [Reddit, accessed 6/24/19]
• Citing the Second Amendment, another user criticized the lack of armed action from others “against government tyrany,” adding, “Now there is proven government tyrany and you do nothing?” [Reddit, accessed 6/24/19]
• A user wrote, "Hopefully all State Police in Oregon refuse, hes serious. No problems shooting a cop trying to strip rights from Citizens. If he calls for help I'd come." [Reddit, accessed 6/24/19]
• A user called for “more militia men in Oregon. Michigan, Idaho, Washington, Nevada, Utah, Colorado,” adding, “You know what to do. Flood Oregon and take over Portland. Let's make this happen.” [Reddit, accessed 6/24/19]
• A user wrote, “Everyone needs to start getting into shape, sharpening up your marksmanship and learning the ins and outs of all your fire arms. Stock upon that ammo too.” [Reddit, accessed 6/24/19]
• A user wrote that they were “at the point where I hope [violence] happens” as a “catalyst to purge their ideology from government.” Regarding the governor’s order, another user wrote: “The soap box has been forbidden to be used. The ballot box has been abused. The ammo box is what they then choose." [Reddit, accessed 6/24/19]