Yup. Truly sad, too. It used to be a great comic…even if it was somewhat sexist and horny. It also was open to interfaith harmony and had God/Jesus, The Buddha, etc. as supporting sympathetic characters while still skewering the “holy-roller” crowd.
Even Satan was more an Anti-Villain than a villain.
It was funny, clever, cute, irreverent, sex-positive, skewered frummies and bigots, spiritually ecumenical and goofy and open to romance. Sure; Gals were objectified but the good quality, humor and heart made up for it.
Then Ishida got “pseudo-woke” and it became a hateful, misandrous, transphobic, sex-negative, anti-theist, anti-romance, puritanical piece of garbage!
…I miss that adorable, blissful Buddha…
…flying around on his cloud…
…That Buddha needs to visit Ishida.
“FANDOM DISCONTINUITY” RULES!…IN MY WORLD…
* Funky Winkerbean was ALWAYS a goofy gag strip about band geeks that really ended with Lisa’s first time with cancer and conquering it!
* SinFest ended before The Sisterhood showed up.
* M*A*S*H Was always a zany comedy but with a great Anti-War message and Aesop about conquering inner pain and successfully staving off PTSD with silliness. The real Series Finale was “Abyssinia Henry” but with the last scene omitted. Also; 3 Seasons is the same length as the Korean War, characters stay consistent, fashions and hair less anachronistic (Granted none of Col. Potter but my point still stands).
* All In The Family ended with Mike, Gloria and their Son moving to California.
* Forget “Jump The Shark”; Happy Days ended with “Torch The Drive-In” (the rebuilding in the end being the happy cherry on top).
* Aliens III and IV, anything after Silence Of The Lambs (book or movie), Austin Powers I, & Highlander I and Metroid: Other M NEVER HAPPENED! Ripley never died nor did Newt! Clarice will always be a hero and never seduced by Lechter, who doesn’t have a sympathetic backstory! Austin Powers & Ms. Kennsington will be a Secret Agent Power Couple for life! The Highlanders are supernatural mythic Scottish things, not space aliens! Samus is a badass Feminist Icon built like Gwendoyne Christie who would likely tell Adam Malkovich to stuff it when he gets all abusey!
* Taking Over The Asylum is REALLY a 3-Part miniseries that ends with the “Loonies” sticking it to the Man and saving the radio station (and Fergus doesn’t commit suicide).
Yes; I’m aware that some of the hated stuff was to make a point; Col. Blake’s death was to show the cruelty and unfairness of war, Ms. Kennsington’s fate was a riff on James Bond’s wife and Bond’s tendency to forget past loves and Taking Over The Asylum was basically a less morbid, music-centric take on One Flew Over The Cuckcoo’s Nest meant to show the public how bad things were for the mentally ill (and hopefully inspire social change because a few mentally ill friends alone can’t)…
…but I’m a weenie and prefer hopeful to happy endings and tales of the little guy fighting oppression and triumphing. It provides morale and a pep-talk to the public. Morale is VITAL in fighting Social Injustice and endless tales of the “Little Guy” losing isn’t going to inspire people!…
* The Stepford Wives should end with the Men’s Association destroyed!
* Heaven’s Gate should end with the wealthy protagonist vow to use his wealth to keep on fighting for those oppressed immigrants and workers despite the tragic outcome of plot (while the other two protagonists ride off to a new life rather than surprise-killed). * Chinatown ends with Noah Cross getting shot and killed by his daughter, her “sister-daugther” adopted by Jake and Jake vowing to help the daughter to get a lesser charge via telling her story of abuse and what Cross planned for the “sister-daughter” (also, it’s a FUCK YOU to POLANSKI, THAT NONCE-RAPIST FREAK!).
…1970s cinema basically told SJWs the Counterculture “Give Up. Humans are trash! The Man will always win!” (and some of these film are considered counterculture classics!). NO WONDER STAR WARS BECAME SUCH A HIT!