I sometimes wonder if these self-defeating misuses of pop-culture on purpose… as a way to troll and get attention.
* A political cartoonist comparing a figure he LIKES to a literary goofus who chases after imaginary enemies and problems… as a means to try to defend that figure. He COULD have gone with the more obvious like “St. George vs. the Dragon” or “David vs. Goliath” but nope… he goes with “Don Quixote vs. Windmill”.
* Ted Cruz reading “Green Eggs & Ham” to argue against Obamacare.
* Orangething comparing himself to Thanos while using a scene when Thanos id about to be defeated.
* Cindy McCain comparing herself to Daenerys Targyrean AFTER Daenerys revealed herself to be mass-murdering nutcase who was always driven by a need to rule and be worshipped rather than any altruism.
* Wohl & Burkman and their scams that were so comically inept and poorly planned out that you’re amazed that these guys even know how to breathe!
* Pointing to awesome stuff about Democratic candidates (Han Solo cosplay, a dance routine with College friends, being in a 1990’s Alt-Rock / Punk band, etc.) and assuming the majority of USians would be turned off by it rather than “That makes them even cooler!”.
* Failing to gauge that Mexican food is immensely popular in the USA and that a taco truck on every corner is anything but terrifying.
* Constantly using popular music from bands who object and wildly taking the song in question out of context (one would have to be deaf to not hear what the non-chorus part of ‘Born in the USA’ is so blatantly saying).
… Sure some could be geezers being out of touch but some of these folks should not only know better but are themselves Boomers, Xers and Millennials who are sure to own computers and TV sets and should know what’s going on pop-culture wise via simple “Pop-Culture Osmosis” (I never watched Game of Thrones but even I know some basic plot points and characters). These aren’t all Silent Generation - aged hermits who hang out in the Siberian wilderness in caves somewhere.